Why use Websphere when there is Tomcat and other free Java servers which basically do same thing?
Here I will try to find reasons. To come with anti-reasons to thse reasons is an exercise to the reader ;)
1. Rapid Application Development implemented in Websphere can be good for begining developers.
2. You can dynamically create site navigations
3. Easy to test, debug and publish applications
4. All distributed files are packed in one EAR file which makes it easy to manually put on any Websphere server.
5. Fail-over possibilities
6. Monitoring with build-in Tivoli tools
Botstation Technologies - Lotus Domino software provider